17 Oct Boss Day 2011
Did you know that today is National Boss Appreciation Day? Hurry, it’s not too late to let your employer know how much you appreciate them!
The concept of National Boss Day began in 1958 when Patricia Bays Haroski, then an employee at State Farm Insurance Company in Deerfield, Illinois, registered the holiday with the United States Chamber of Commerce. She designated October 16 as the special day because it was her father’s birthday. Haroski’s purpose was to designate a day to show appreciation for her boss and other bosses. She also hoped to improve the relationship between employees and supervisors.
Four years later in 1962, Illinois Governor Otto Kerner backed Haroski’s registration and officially proclaimed the day. National Boss Day (or Bosses Day) always falls October 16th or the nearest working day. The event’s popularity is growing outside the United States and is now also observed in countries such as Australia, India, and South Africa.
A quick gift idea might be a greeting card or e-card, taking your boss out to lunch, flowers, having a little office party, chocolates, funny office gifts like stress balls. You know the relationship you have with your boss, so let him/her know in a comfortable way that they are appreciated.
Enjoy a few quotes about bosses found on www.quotegarden.com :
- I’ve met a few people in my time who were enthusiastic about hard work. And it was just my luck that all of them happened to be men I was working for at the time. ~Bill Gold
- By working faithfully eight hours a day you may eventually get to be boss and work twelve hours a day. ~Robert Frost
- One measure of leadership is the caliber of people who choose to follow you. ~Dennis A. Peer
- Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties. ~Doug Larson
- Ability is what will get you to the top if the boss has no daughter. ~Author Unknown
- Nothing so conclusively proves a man’s ability to lead others as what he does from day to day to lead himself. ~Thomas J. Watson
- If a trainstation is where the train stops, what’s a workstation? ~Author Unknown
- Monday is a lame way to spend 1/7 of your life. ~Author Unknown
- The best leader is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with them while they do it. ~Theodore Roosevelt
- Most people like hard work. Particularly when they are paying for it. ~Franklin P. Jones
- Don’t worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you’ll have to ram them down people’s throats. ~Howard Aiken
- If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be “meetings.” ~Dave Barry, “Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn”
- The difference between a job and a career is the difference between forty and sixty hours a week. ~Robert Frost